The high rate of turnover in your team is unacceptable. It is one of the signs of a company that most people know to look out for and avoid. Applicants will be less willing to accept jobs from you. You’ll end up paying a lot to replace the labor you keep losing. Worst of all, you’ll never really have the benefits of a cohesive, invested team. So, why are you seeing such a problem with retaining employees?
Their life outside the business isn’t taken into account
Everyone has a life outside their job. That life has its own demands and exerting too much pressure on them to put aside that life won’t help anyone. From poor health and safety practices that puts physical strain on them to demands on long hours and inflexible work conditions that puts mental strain on them. Make sure your business doesn’t demand more than they can reasonably give. Help them find the work-life balance they need.
They’re not appreciated
That said, most people find their work life to be a very important part of their overall lives. For that reason, they like to know that their time spent working hard is being appreciated. Rewards as simple as employee appreciation gifts can be crucial in showing that you value their work. Take the time out to publicly acknowledge those who are performing well in the job. Not only will people feel their emotional needs being met by the job. It sets a great example for levels of work you can expect to see in other members of the team, as well.
You’re dealing with a hostile work environment
Having the right colleagues can make even the most demanding of jobs much more valuable to the individual. On the other hand, having a workplace full of hostile presences can make you hate even the job you’ve always wanted. A hostile work environment isn’t just a risk of pushing your employees away, however. When it goes too far, you can legally responsible for it. Make sure you have set company policies that deal with harassment, bullying and other hostile behavior within the workplace. Otherwise, the idea of a cohesive team will always be beyond you.
They can’t see a future
Another need that every employer must consider is that most people want their current job to be part of a bigger career. If you’re offering nothing but the job itself, they will start looking at what is best for their future. Offering chances of internal career growth is the best way to show people there’s a future in working for you. If you can’t however, then contribute to their future by offering them access to further training so long as they’re with you. Of course, the benefits of more competent employees to the business don’t need to be stressed, either.
Simply put, the relationship between employee and employer needs to be one of mutual investment if your business is to stand any chance. Make sure you’re considering what they need and want from the job, not just paying them to fill their role.
Thanks for reading! 🙂 If you enjoyed this article, please save it to Pinterest by clicking the 'save' button on any image.
And say hello on Instagram or Snapchat
Subscribe to my Newsletter HERE
Follow me & my blog:
Visit noni's profile on Pinterest.
Shop my current favorites:
seamless style="border: 0;">
Courses on free publicity and growing your biz and blog:
Most useful blog posts to grow your biz + blog
- The tools I use to run my 5-figure automated business and blog – networks, plugins, software, tools and hosting
- 10 Tiny service investments for your biz + blog that will help you grow massively (max $35)
- The ultimate guide to doing your own PR
- Automatically schedule your Pinterest pins with these 5 tools
- My top 7 automations that will help you get more done in less time
- Time-saving tips for busy entrepreneurs
- Why using Convertkit is the only way to grow your blog income in 2016
- How to use Convertkit as a PR tool to automate the heck out of your PR strategy
- 7 reasons why your PR efforts + strategy shouldn’t cost you money (+ FREE PR Checklist)
- 6 reasons why public relations are important (+ You should start PR ASAP)
- What is Leadpages + 5 ways to grow your blog or biz with it
- A list of 50+ recommended paid blogger networks to join
- Travellers life = why money matters and how to make more by clearing your money blocks (+ an introduction to my money coach)
- 7+ websites that will pay you for your photography
- Sell your clutter for cash: 10 best places to make money online
- The best online privacy tools for staying secure while traveling (and at home!)
- Travel apps every world traveller needs
- Latte & laptops –my favourite 5 work places with free wifi around the world
- Use these 9 Habits of highly productive people to stay productive while travelling
- My carry-on long-haul flight essentials
Most useful blog posts about money and building a passive income
| Travel Advice & Digital Nomad lifestyle |