Long time followers of mine know I’m in to online privacy and internet freedom. It was a big challenge for me to figure out how to stay secure while traveling. You’re using someone else’s wifi all the time, there are different internet laws in every country you visit and what if your mobile phone or laptop gets stolen? I collected my favorite tips to stay secure at all times. And yep, unfortunately my iPhone got stolen on the road! But thanks to my preparations I didn’t lose any photos! From secure browsers, encrypted messengers and password managers, here’s how you stay secure online and offline during traveling.
| TOR – my all time favorite for anonymous browsing |
No, I’m not up for a single trip to Silk Road-a-like websites, but I’m all about staying secure myself. You might have read about the dangers of using an open wifi, if not, please do. Browsing with TOR keeps you a little bit safer than using the good ol’ Chrome for example, so why not? With TOR you browse the internet without leaving your activity open for prying eyes. Tor’s network of bouncing your traffic through multiple relays makes it nearly impossible to track a user’s identity or activity. You can access almost every website anonymously. Yes! No more hacks or spies! >Download for free Tor Project.
| AdBlock Plus (ad-blocker) |
| PGP – secure & encrypted email |
| FileVault – disk encryption |
| DuckDuckGo – search engine |
| HTTPS Everywhere (secure-site switcher) |
The HTTPS Everywhere plug-in aims to force your browser into loading the secure version of a site over a page that doesn’t contain a security certificate. In normal people language? The plug-in makes browsing more secure by encrypting everytthing from your computer to their server. The plugin is designed for Chrome, Firefox, Opera and is also available for Firefox for Android. Electronic Frontier Foundation.
| Ghostery (anti-tracking tool) |
Ghostery is a tracking tool that can be added to your browser to show you how you’re being tracked online — and by whom. Scary? A little, but at least you know. Ghostery.
Follow me & my blog:
Visit noni's profile on Pinterest.
Courses on free publicity and growing your biz and blog:
Most useful blog posts to grow your biz + blog
- The tools I use to run my 5-figure automated business and blog – networks, plugins, software, tools and hosting
- 10 Tiny service investments for your biz + blog that will help you grow massively (max $35)
- The ultimate guide to doing your own PR
- Automatically schedule your Pinterest pins with these 5 tools
- My top 7 automations that will help you get more done in less time
- Time-saving tips for busy entrepreneurs
- Why using Convertkit is the only way to grow your blog income in 2016
- How to use Convertkit as a PR tool to automate the heck out of your PR strategy
- 7 reasons why your PR efforts + strategy shouldn’t cost you money (+ FREE PR Checklist)
- 6 reasons why public relations are important (+ You should start PR ASAP)
- What is Leadpages + 5 ways to grow your blog or biz with it
- A list of 50+ recommended paid blogger networks to join
- Travellers life = why money matters and how to make more by clearing your money blocks (+ an introduction to my money coach)
- 7+ websites that will pay you for your photography
- Sell your clutter for cash: 10 best places to make money online