Let's connect, follow me here:Follow @nnonimay Pinterest Contact NM
*This post may contain affiliate links.
And don't forget to share this post down below!
No matter what kind of niche your business is tied to, one of the things that is going to be essential to your success is knowing how to source and buy products effectively. You may have a solid business plan in place and some truly innovative ideas floating around, but if you don’t deal with the right manufacturers, designers, and importers, your company is inevitably going to run into problems. Here are some of my best sourcing tips for first-time business owners.
If you like reading this article, you might also like:
- – How to use Teachable for free to host your online course, membership site or more
- – Making money with affiliate marketing (as a blogger or without a blog!)
- – The Complete Guide To: making money blogging when you have a small following
- – 50+ online income streams to make extra income online from home (to pay off debt)
- – 4 simple steps to starting a WordPress blog from scratch if you have zero technical knowledge
- – The tools I use to run my 5-figure automated business and blog.
- – Mailchimp vs Convertkit: growing your list to 5000+ and which one is better (and free?!)
- – How to use Tailwind Tribes to grow your blog and traffic on autopilot
- – The ultimate list 40 ways to promote your content: free guide content promotion tools
- – Free email course: A Media Kit That Sells to pitch to press and sponsor and become a professional blogger.
- – How to use Convertkit as a PR tool to automate the heck out of your PR strategy
- – Boardbooster vs Tailwind + 3 more tools to schedule and automate your Pinterest
- – A breakdown, the real costs of running a successful business and blog
Research, Research, Research
As you’ve probably discovered by now, there’s nothing template about sourcing for your business. Every product and strategy is going to have its little differences. The kind of circuit boards or membrane switches you need for your current project may look similar to many others, but there are going to be a lot of little nuances and particulars you need to pin down if you want everything to go according to plan. When sourcing, you’re always going to have to go the extra mile to ensure a bright future for your business. Make sure you understand every little facet of the issue, from your buyers’ demands to where you can find the best deal on the products for your current project. Truly successful buying is all about thorough, detailed research, and you need to throw yourself into this.
Rub Shoulders with The Right People
Making professional connections, whether through LinkedIn and other social networks or at real-world events, can be great for getting in touch with the right people and accessing the products you need for success. Obviously, your time is going to be very stretched in these early stages of your business. However, you should strive to make time for reaching out to designers, store managers, manufacturers, and other professionals who are going to be essential to your supply chain. By rubbing shoulders with the right people, you’ll have access to more detailed information on the products you need to buy, the specifications they need to meet, and the most cost-effective ways of procuring them. Networking has a range of benefits outside of your sourcing process, so make sure you’re not neglecting it!
Work on Communication Skills
The importance of being polite, direct, and generally applying great communication skills, can never be underestimated when you’re trying to source components or products. Assuming that you don’t have a procurement team and you’re the main face of your buying process, you’re going to be interacting with people spanning a wide variety of personalities, experiences, and cultures. No matter who you’re interacting with as part of the buying process, it’s exceedingly important to be gracious, professional and clear in all your correspondence. You may think that your communication skills are pretty refined as it is, but looking for ways to better them is never a bad thing. When you’re making a point to improve communications at every phase of the buying process, you’ll be amazed at how much easier sourcing becomes!
Apply these tips from here on, and you’ll have more manageable sourcing.Thanks for reading! ? If you enjoyed this article, please save it to Pinterest by clicking the 'save' button on any image.
And say hello on Instagram or Snapchat
Subscribe to my Newsletter HERE
Follow me & my blog:
Visit noni's profile on Pinterest.
- Enroll in my productivity & time-management course here http://nonimay.teachable.com
- Enroll in my PR & Free Publicity Crash course here http://nonimay.teachable.com/
- Sign-up for my free video training for bloggers here to learn how to make a living off your blog when you have a small following
- Freshbooks accounting software http://www.freshbooks.com
- Course challenge to earn an extra $5000 in 3 weeks http://www.5kin21days.com
- Thrivecart for my cart pages http://www.thrivecart.com
- Lynx – add multiple links to your Instagram bio http://www.lynx.com
- Creative Market – marketplace for fonts, photos & more creatives to buy my stock + mockup photos (without the tacky stock photo look!) http://www.creativemarket.com
- Auto-post your Instagram posts with Tailwind http://www.tailwindapp.com
- Software to create your own (paid) course or membership site for free http://www.teachable.com
- ClickFunnels – marketing funnel software to set up my marketing funnels http://www.clickfunnels.com
- Convertkit – email marketing for bloggers for my weekly blog newsletter http://www.convertkit.com
- Bluehost for my website hosting http://www.bluehost.com
- Shopify – CMS for e-commerce to create and build on my online shop http://www.shopify.com
- Fiverr – get everything (I mean EVERYTHING) done for just $5 to buy some designs http://www.fiverr.com
- Tailwind – the official Pinterest partner that schedules your Pins + optimize your pinning times & analytics http://www.tailwindapp.com
- Boardbooster – Pinterest scheduling software to loop my current pins http://www.boardbooster.com
- TopTracker – time tracker to track my working hours http://www.toptal.com/tracker/
- Ready to use Media Kit Templates for bloggers http://www.hipmediakits.com
- AWeber – email marketing software to send my business newsletter http://www.aweber.com
- Infusionsoft – complete marketing solution to set up your email marketing + affiliate program http://www.infusionsoft.com
- OneDrive – Microsoft's cloud platform to back up my life. http://www.onedrive.com
- Easy design tool to create your own designs, custom pins etc. http://www.picmonkey.com
- VPN to protect your internet surfing when using public wifi http://www.nordvpn.com
Shop my current favorites:
seamless style="border: 0;">
Most useful blog posts to grow your biz + blog
Travel Advice & Digital Nomad lifestyle
- The best online privacy tools for staying secure while traveling (and at home!)
- Travel apps every world traveller needs
- Latte & laptops –my favourite 5 work places with free wifi around the world
- Use these 9 Habits of highly productive people to stay productive while travelling
- My carry-on long-haul flight essentials