Let's connect, follow me here:Follow @nnonimay Pinterest Contact NM
*This post may contain affiliate links.
And don't forget to share this post down below!
There are upsides and downsides of working as a freelancer. You don’t have to answer to a boss, and you decide what work you do. But that’s not the whole story. There are challenges and difficulties that you will face as well. So, you need to make sure that you are aware of the key financial difficulties associated with freelance working. After all, making money and earning enough to live off is what it’s all about.
If you like reading this article, you might also like:
- – How to use Teachable for free to host your online course, membership site or more
- – Making money with affiliate marketing (as a blogger or without a blog!)
- – The Complete Guide To: making money blogging when you have a small following
- – 50+ online income streams to make extra income online from home (to pay off debt)
- – 4 simple steps to starting a WordPress blog from scratch if you have zero technical knowledge
- – The tools I use to run my 5-figure automated business and blog.
- – Mailchimp vs Convertkit: growing your list to 5000+ and which one is better (and free?!)
- – How to use Tailwind Tribes to grow your blog and traffic on autopilot
- – The ultimate list 40 ways to promote your content: free guide content promotion tools
- – Free email course: A Media Kit That Sells to pitch to press and sponsor and become a professional blogger.
- – How to use Convertkit as a PR tool to automate the heck out of your PR strategy
- – Boardbooster vs Tailwind + 3 more tools to schedule and automate your Pinterest
- – A breakdown, the real costs of running a successful business and blog
Maintaining a Steady Cash Flow
Your cash flow is vitally important when you are a freelancer. When you don’t manage it properly, you face big difficulties. You should try to make sure that your use of credit cards is kept to a minimum because they can confuse things even further, which is not what you need. You should also try to ensure that you don’t spend too much near the start of the month if you are not getting paid again for a while. These are issues that you should get used to over time as you grow to understand the realities of freelance work.
Chasing Unpaid Invoices
When a client doesn’t pay your invoice, you have to chase them. This is, unfortunately, a very common problem that many freelance workers have faced. It’s something that you should not back down on, though. If a client is trying to take advantage of you, you can’t let them.
The more you let them get away with, the more they will exploit you. So, be firm about expecting payment by a certain date. And when those expectations are not met, take action immediately. Things like invoice factoring might be able to help you out if you are having problems with getting invoices paid too.
Saving for the Tough Times
As you should already know, freelance work is inconsistent. You can never be sure about what your income will be from one month to the next. Of course, you can secure long-term contracts and repeat work. But even these things are never certain because you can be let go very easily. So, it’s important that you start to save when the times are good. They might not be good forever, and having some savings to fall back on when times are tough can be a real help. You just need to make sure that you have all of your immediate costs covered before you start to save.
When you work as a freelancer, it’s possible that you will be working for clients in different parts of the world. This is one of the things that can make freelance work so interesting. However, things can get confusing when you are being paid by clients and companies in different countries. There are currency challenges that you will have to overcome. You should be sure to keep a close eye on the currency exchange rates. Your income can go up or down depending on what the current rate is. Sometimes, it will work in your favour. At other times, it will mean that you lose out a little.
I perfected a lot of my money strategies and routines after doing this course from my money mindset coach. She offers a ton of free content on her blog and website, from webinars to meditations to help you grow your income.She helps women release their fear of money, set premium prices for their services and take back control over their finances. You know that icky feeling in your belly when someone asks you to work for free? Or the baffling procrastination of sending out an invoice to a potential client? Or the fact that your income has stagnated… she’s here to help you break through! Learn more about her here.
And say hello on Instagram or Snapchat
Subscribe to my Newsletter HERE
Follow me & my blog:
Visit noni's profile on Pinterest.
- Enroll in my productivity & time-management course here http://nonimay.teachable.com
- Enroll in my PR & Free Publicity Crash course here http://nonimay.teachable.com/
- Sign-up for my free video training for bloggers here to learn how to make a living off your blog when you have a small following
- Freshbooks accounting software http://www.freshbooks.com
- Course challenge to earn an extra $5000 in 3 weeks http://www.5kin21days.com
- Thrivecart for my cart pages http://www.thrivecart.com
- Lynx – add multiple links to your Instagram bio http://www.lynx.com
- Creative Market – marketplace for fonts, photos & more creatives to buy my stock + mockup photos (without the tacky stock photo look!) http://www.creativemarket.com
- Auto-post your Instagram posts with Tailwind http://www.tailwindapp.com
- Software to create your own (paid) course or membership site for free http://www.teachable.com
- ClickFunnels – marketing funnel software to set up my marketing funnels http://www.clickfunnels.com
- Convertkit – email marketing for bloggers for my weekly blog newsletter http://www.convertkit.com
- Bluehost for my website hosting http://www.bluehost.com
- Shopify – CMS for e-commerce to create and build on my online shop http://www.shopify.com
- Fiverr – get everything (I mean EVERYTHING) done for just $5 to buy some designs http://www.fiverr.com
- Tailwind – the official Pinterest partner that schedules your Pins + optimize your pinning times & analytics http://www.tailwindapp.com
- Boardbooster – Pinterest scheduling software to loop my current pins http://www.boardbooster.com
- TopTracker – time tracker to track my working hours http://www.toptal.com/tracker/
- Ready to use Media Kit Templates for bloggers http://www.hipmediakits.com
- AWeber – email marketing software to send my business newsletter http://www.aweber.com
- Infusionsoft – complete marketing solution to set up your email marketing + affiliate program http://www.infusionsoft.com
- OneDrive – Microsoft's cloud platform to back up my life. http://www.onedrive.com
- Easy design tool to create your own designs, custom pins etc. http://www.picmonkey.com
- VPN to protect your internet surfing when using public wifi http://www.nordvpn.com
Shop my current favorites:
seamless style="border: 0;">
Most useful blog posts to grow your biz + blog
Travel Advice & Digital Nomad lifestyle
- The best online privacy tools for staying secure while traveling (and at home!)
- Travel apps every world traveller needs
- Latte & laptops –my favourite 5 work places with free wifi around the world
- Use these 9 Habits of highly productive people to stay productive while travelling
- My carry-on long-haul flight essentials