A lot of people hit a time in their life where they get stuck in a rut. Despite all their efforts to break out of it, it can feel like they’re trapped in a hamster wheel, going nowhere and driving themselves deeper and deeper into the situation they want to escape. If you know you’ve got a lot of ideas, but breaking out of this funk feels impossible, here are some great strategies for getting out of your rut…
Make Friends with Regret
A potent sense of regret may feel like it’s holding you back from making any progress, but it’s been found that counterfactual thinking can actually help motivate you to be more proactive. This is the process of constructively assessing a situation, and figuring out how you should have acted in the situation that set off your sense of regret. This, in turn, can lead to a powerful resolve: “The next time X happens, I’ll do Y instead.” Some of us might become stuck in ruts from seeing the glass half-full and leaving it at that. Let’s say a job you were gunning for slips through your fingers. Instead of saying “at least I got the interview”, imagine a better alternative, and establish how you would or should have acted to seek a good solution.
Put your Comfort Zone Under the Microscope
In order to get yourself out of the rut you’re in, you first need to understand that you’re the main entity that’s keeping you in it. This is the central principle of NLP and similar self-help philosophies. You may be stuck in your comfort zone, a set of circumstances that feel familiar and safe due to some childhood experience. People who have grown up with loving and supportive environments rarely find their lives in a rut. Those who grew up with harmful, straining emotional environments, on the other hand, often develop a psychological comfort zone, which can feel good, but is still harmful to their self-improvement goals. Whatever negative situation you find yourself in, take some time to ask yourself if an aspect of the situation feels familiar. This will help you to understand where your knee-jerk responses are originating from, which is the first step towards getting yourself moving onwards and upwards.
Apply Mental Contrasting
Mental contrasting is a strategy that can help you stay motivated by the thought of a desired future, all the while helping you stay realistic about what you need to do in order to get around stumbling blocks. You probably spend a lot of time contemplating your ideal future already. Now, you need to develop a habit of following this up by thinking about the short-term factors that are holding you back from your goals. Simply dwelling on the obstacles in your way, or indulging in fantasies about what you want your life to be like, will do nothing but keep you stuck in the rut you’re experiencing. Learning to balance these two things effectively, on the other hand, will propel you into meaningful action.
Thanks for reading! 🙂 If you enjoyed this article, please save it to Pinterest by clicking the 'save' button on any image.
And say hello on Instagram or Snapchat
Subscribe to my Newsletter HERE
Follow me & my blog:
Visit noni's profile on Pinterest.
Shop my current favorites:
seamless style="border: 0;">
Courses on free publicity and growing your biz and blog:
Most useful blog posts to grow your biz + blog
- The tools I use to run my 5-figure automated business and blog – networks, plugins, software, tools and hosting
- 10 Tiny service investments for your biz + blog that will help you grow massively (max $35)
- The ultimate guide to doing your own PR
- Automatically schedule your Pinterest pins with these 5 tools
- My top 7 automations that will help you get more done in less time
- Time-saving tips for busy entrepreneurs
- Why using Convertkit is the only way to grow your blog income in 2016
- How to use Convertkit as a PR tool to automate the heck out of your PR strategy
- 7 reasons why your PR efforts + strategy shouldn’t cost you money (+ FREE PR Checklist)
- 6 reasons why public relations are important (+ You should start PR ASAP)
- What is Leadpages + 5 ways to grow your blog or biz with it
- A list of 50+ recommended paid blogger networks to join
- Travellers life = why money matters and how to make more by clearing your money blocks (+ an introduction to my money coach)
- 7+ websites that will pay you for your photography
- Sell your clutter for cash: 10 best places to make money online
- The best online privacy tools for staying secure while traveling (and at home!)
- Travel apps every world traveller needs
- Latte & laptops –my favourite 5 work places with free wifi around the world
- Use these 9 Habits of highly productive people to stay productive while travelling
- My carry-on long-haul flight essentials
Most useful blog posts about money and building a passive income
| Travel Advice & Digital Nomad lifestyle |