If you’ve had a genius business idea, the chances are that you want to rush out and get started. We’re all impatient when it comes to things we’re excited by. But, rushing out before you’re ready isn’t always best. This is especially true when it comes to business. If you pursue your idea before you’re ready, you stand to lose money, time, and your idea. Plus, other people in the field will fail to take you seriously this way. Instead, it’s important to do a little legwork. This is particularly the case if your idea is in a field you have no experience with. Instead of rushing in, set aside some time to work in that area. Experience is valuable for a variety of reasons. We’re going to look at a few of them.
The know how
It would be arrogant to assume you can rush into a whole new career and make a success of things. That’s not how it works. Let’s be honest; starting a business is difficult enough in the first place. Don’t make the job harder by having no idea what you’re doing. Gaining experience in your field will provide you with all the knowledge you need. And, if you do it right, this needn’t take up a great deal of your time. Many office-based businesses provide internships or short work experience slots. Make the most of these, and absorb all the information you can during your time there. If your idea is in education, you could opt for some temporary teaching jobs to see you through, instead. As well as giving you experience, opportunities like these will help you decide whether you’re willing to take the plunge. You may find, once you get started, that you aren’t comfortable in the field after all. And that’s fine!
No one can effectively run a business without the right contacts. Who you know will make all the difference to how well you do. So, use your time in the field to learn the right names. If you perform well, you’re sure to catch the eyes of people who matter. In turn, these people are more likely to want to work with you later down the line. Without compromising your position, use your experience as a chance to reach out to people who matter. Be sure to act professional, and keep your future business out of the equation for now. There will be plenty of time for that later!
And, of course, experience also gains you respect. In many ways, experience in your chosen area is more important than having the right qualifications. You need people to put their trust in you. And, why should they put their trust in someone who, for the most part, has no idea what they’re doing? You’d be surprised how much your list of credentials still matters when you work for yourself. Having the experience to fall back on is the best way to get yourself those business deals.
Thanks for reading! 🙂 If you enjoyed this article, please save it to Pinterest by clicking the 'save' button on any image.
And say hello on Instagram or Snapchat
Subscribe to my Newsletter HERE
Follow me & my blog:
Visit noni's profile on Pinterest.
Shop my current favorites:
seamless style="border: 0;">
Courses on free publicity and growing your biz and blog:
Most useful blog posts to grow your biz + blog
- The tools I use to run my 5-figure automated business and blog – networks, plugins, software, tools and hosting
- 10 Tiny service investments for your biz + blog that will help you grow massively (max $35)
- The ultimate guide to doing your own PR
- Automatically schedule your Pinterest pins with these 5 tools
- My top 7 automations that will help you get more done in less time
- Time-saving tips for busy entrepreneurs
- Why using Convertkit is the only way to grow your blog income in 2016
- How to use Convertkit as a PR tool to automate the heck out of your PR strategy
- 7 reasons why your PR efforts + strategy shouldn’t cost you money (+ FREE PR Checklist)
- 6 reasons why public relations are important (+ You should start PR ASAP)
- What is Leadpages + 5 ways to grow your blog or biz with it
- A list of 50+ recommended paid blogger networks to join
- Travellers life = why money matters and how to make more by clearing your money blocks (+ an introduction to my money coach)
- 7+ websites that will pay you for your photography
- Sell your clutter for cash: 10 best places to make money online
- The best online privacy tools for staying secure while traveling (and at home!)
- Travel apps every world traveller needs
- Latte & laptops –my favourite 5 work places with free wifi around the world
- Use these 9 Habits of highly productive people to stay productive while travelling
- My carry-on long-haul flight essentials
Most useful blog posts about money and building a passive income
| Travel Advice & Digital Nomad lifestyle |