By now you probably have heard about blogging and blogs, you’re reading one right now! And if you’re smart, you noticed how important it is to start a blog. Even when you don’t pursue a ‘blogging career’, work as a freelancer or own a company. You don’t want to know how many job offers I’ve had since I started blogging 12 years ago! And it brought so much joy in my life, crazy opportunities and more that I can honestly suggest you start a blog ASAP! Did you know it’s free?
If you’re new to blogging, hosting, domain names and all these terms might scare you. Here’s how it works from the back end (the part you usually don’t see unless you have access to the blog to edit the design or blog posts). People e-mail me very often asking how to start a blog, so now it’s time to finally write a tutorial on how to start a WordPress blog from scratch if you have zero technical knowledge.
There are a few types of blogs you can start, from free to very professional and a bit more costly. The free blogs (for example Blogger and Tumblr) aren’t self-hosting and you can’t really customize the designs and often you’re not allowed to use the blog for commercial reasons. If you go for a self-hosted blog as I suggest, you are allowed to make money with your blog and put all sorts of advertising on your blog! Whohooho! The only downside? You have to invest before you can start, but only a few dollars a month, I’ve also arranged a very special deal for you so it’s seriously only $3,49 a month.
This is how you start a blog and earn some pocket money now
Click here to start a blog on WordPress now, then use the tutorial below if you’ve no clue what to do next.
In this tutorial, I’ll talk like we’re moving into a beautiful townhouse in NYC, not only because that’s a dream of mine, but also because everybody has moved once in their life, so you know what I’m talking about!
| 1. Claim your online ‘street name’ by registering a domain name |
Click here to set up your own domain name (URL)
[Check out option 2 down below for the easier but more expensive option]
You need to have an address in order to ‘build a house’. So therefore, we need to get a domain name. This is the URL of your blog, as you can see, mine is www.nonimay.com. A lot of ‘nicer’ domain names are taken these days, so if yours is free, claim it now ASAP.
You can get domain names from as low as $0,88 a year, go to NameCheap.com to check if your domain name available is and to order yours directly. You need a domain name to start a blog, so don’t procrastinate on this haha. If you’ve purchased your domain name, you’re ready for step 2.
The easiest way to start a blog if you have zero technical knowledge regarding building websites is purchasing your domain name via BlueHost because we’ll get there in step 2 for web hosting. You get your domain for FREE for the first year as long as you buy 12 months worth of web hosting, we’ll get to this in step 2, so if you’re interested in this option, head over to step 2 right now (but do read the little privacy note down below!)!
A little privacy note: if you order a domain name, your name + address and e-mail address will be visible for everybody via Whois. To prevent this, you have to order (extra $$) Whois protection. BUT, you can get Whois protection for free if you register at Namecheap via this link, and I strongly suggest you do!
| 2. Rent your online ‘house’ by registering your web hosting |
Click here to set up your own blog hosting
You’re half way to setting up your own WordPress blog! Easy right? You now need to rent some land to build your house on, we call this ‘web hosting’. Web hosting helps you setting up your blog online, and connecting your WordPress to your domain name.
If you decided to go for the easy way, you also purchase your domain name with your BlueHost hosting, it’s often free!
I have arranged a special deal for my readers, if you sign up via my special link, you only pay $3,49 per month for web hosting, this is seriously the cheapest option out there! Plus, you’ll receive a FREE domain name with the deal, so it’s a pretty good all inclusive deal! If you sign up now, you’ll receive 30-day money-back guarantee. But if all is good, you don’t need that, because we’ll set up your blog right now!!
Don’t get lost in all the options, here’s how to get the right BlueHost deal:
- Select your plan: if you’re just new to blogging, the basic plan is all you need. It’s only $3,49 a month and it includes a FREE domain. If you need another plan later, they’re super friendly with helping you upgrade, so just get the ‘basic’ plan right now.
- Click select.
- Time to connect your domain name. If you just purchased a domain name (your URL) via Namecheap, you pick the right option “I have a domain name” and enter your URL. Click next. If you still need a domain name, enter your preferred domain name (URL) in the field and click next. If your preferred domain name is already taken, you’ll get a yellow error screen and you can pick another url. Make sure you pick one that you can actually pronounce when you meet new people, and that they easily get what your blog is about or how to spell the URL.
- Next you fill in all your account information. This is and stays private as long as you make sure and double check you order Domain Privacy Protection. Under “Package information” you’ll find a lot of options. Here’s what you NEED: an Account Plan. Pick the cheapest option $3,49 for optimal discounts. Uncheck all other options, except the Domain Privacy Protection if you just bought a domain name via BlueHost.
- Fill in the payment information and you’re all set!
- Make sure you sign up via my link for this $3,49 a month deal + a FREE domain!
| 3. Start your blog by installing WordPress |
Next we’re creating your blog!! Here’s how:
If you bought a domain via Namecheap, read this article about how to connect your domain name to your hosting.
Let’s install your WordPress so you can start publishing! It’s super easy with Bluehost. They basically do it for you, for FREE. Lol.
Log in to your just created Bluehost online environment. They call the view you see the ‘cPanel’. It’s a lot of colors and buttons, but try to find the ‘MOJO Marketplace’. Click the ‘one click install’ button. Find the WordPress icon under blogs, it looks like this:
Click ‘start’, your blog installation begins now. All you have to do is select the right domain name (the one we just set up in step 2) and set up your WordPress username and password. Do this under ‘advanced options’. Pick a username that’s very advanced, don’t go for the standard ‘admin’ or your name. Why? Many hackers try to hack WordPress blogs every day, and my blogs are attacked on a daily basis. This shouldn’t scare you, as long as you secure your site right. More about blog security later, because all you need to focus on now is getting your blog up. Check the ‘automatically create a new database for this installation’ and click ‘install now’. You’re done!
This is how you can start publishing now you’ve set up the back end of blogging: sign in to WordPress. Check your email for the link, and fill in the username and password you just created. Usually it’s www.yoururl(domain name).com/wp-admin
| 4. Beautify your blog with picking a design (template) (extra) |
Once you’re logged in, it’s time for the next step: your blog’s design. The easiest way is purchasing a ‘ready to use’ template over at ThemeForest. Blog designs you can install in one click are called templates. They only need small customizing and are perfect if you want a cheap option, hiring a designer will give you a unique design, but it’s a massive investment so it’s a better idea later in your ‘blogging career’ or when you actually make money blogging.
Of course, after publishing a few blog posts (like 10 – 20) your blog looks complete, so get creative and publish a bunch of blog posts!
Get your newsletter forms up (I suggest Convertkit or Infusionsoft) to gather your visitor’s email addresses and to keep them posted about the things you do. It’s very important to start this process early on, so sign up to Convertkit and create some of the beautiful newsletter forms they offer.
If you want to know how bloggers make money and how to earn 5-figures every month from your blog, read
More blogging-related posts you should read:
- A list of 50+ recommended paid blogger networks to join
- The tools I use to run my 5-figure automated business and blog – networks, plugins, software, tools and hosting
- 50+ ways to make an income online from home as a blogger or entrepreneur
- Automatically schedule your Pinterest pins with these 5 tools
- Why using Convertkit is the only way to grow your blog income in 2016
- How to use Convertkit as a PR tool to automate the heck out of your PR strategy
- The real costs of running a successful blog business
And say hello on Instagram or Snapchat
Subscribe to my Newsletter HERE
Follow me & my blog:
Visit noni's profile on Pinterest.
Shop my current favorites:
seamless style="border: 0;">
Most useful blog posts to grow your biz + blog
Travel Advice & Digital Nomad lifestyle
- The best online privacy tools for staying secure while traveling (and at home!)
- Travel apps every world traveller needs
- Latte & laptops –my favourite 5 work places with free wifi around the world
- Use these 9 Habits of highly productive people to stay productive while travelling
- My carry-on long-haul flight essentials