We’re rapidly approaching a new year, a new time in life. A new year should always be seen as an opportunity or a chance to begin again. Specifically, I think you should be considering laying out a new path for your career. Forget about where you were in 2016 and look towards new challenges or choices. If you’re not happy with the job you’re currently working in, change it. If you want to try your luck in a completely new industry, explore it. There is nothing holding you back except the failure to attempt a change. Once you take the first step, though, you might find it easier than you thought. Of course, it’s all very well suggesting that you get out there and find a new career, but how do you actually go about it? What are the steps that you will need to take?
Also read: top things to do before the new year starts
Look At Your CV
The first issue that you will need to consider when seeking out a new career if your CV. if you have been stuck in the same job for a while, your CV might be a little outdated. It also probably won’t be particularly impressive which is an issue. If it doesn’t stand out, you’re going to find it very difficult to win the type of job that you want. Therefore, you need to look at your CV and try to think of any way that you might be able to improve it. Believe it or not, having a long time on your CV where you have been working in the same job is an advantage. It’s an attractive possibility for new employers because it shows both loyalty and dedication. But they may also want to know why you haven’t advanced your career at any significant level. You will have to be prepared for this type of question in an interview.
You need to think about whether your CV is suited for the new type of job you want. This is a little tricky, particularly now that employers use automated software to select and choose the best CVs when they recruit new workers. If you don’t have a CV that has the right keywords or phrases to match the job, you won’t be considered. That means you could be great for a job and you’ll be dismissed, simply because your CV is worded incorrectly. How terrible is that?
Learn New Skills, Better Yourself
The best way to ensure that you do get the job you want is to add things to your CV that fit that role. To do this, you just need to think about signing up for new courses and pushing yourself to fit that position. It doesn’t matter what job you are considering going after. If you want to grab it, you just need to think about taking a few online courses. This will almost automatically make you more qualified for that position. It will also easily improve your CV and your standing against other candidates.
Seek Out At Specialised Recruiter
If you want to be put forward for the best positions in your chosen industry, you should aim for representation from a pro recruiter. A professional specialized recruitment agency will represent the best businesses in the field. Getting their help is like having your own personal agent. They will push your CV for positions that they believe you are suited for. With a recruitment agency, you might even find positions were open that previously weren’t. For instance, a credit control recruiter will give you the opportunity at one of the best positions with an employer that has an opening. Since they are representing the best clients, you can guarantee that they will also be able to find you a fantastic, high paying job. Of course, whether or not you win the job will depend on whether you can impress the employer.
Soaring Through The Interview
The final stage of winning a new position in your dream career is ensuring that your crack that all important interview. Don’t forget that you need them to be impressed as soon as you walk in the door. You should already have them thinking that you are one of the best they have seen for the job at this stage. If you can’t do this, be prepared to be beaten by someone else who has. There is always a candidate that an employer clicks with straight away. You need that candidate to be you.
I hope you see now that beginning a new career path in 2017 won’t be as hard as you think.
Follow me & my blog:
Visit noni's profile on Pinterest.
Shop my current favorites:
seamless style="border: 0;">
Courses on free publicity and growing your biz and blog:
Most useful blog posts to grow your biz + blog
- The tools I use to run my 5-figure automated business and blog – networks, plugins, software, tools and hosting
- 10 Tiny service investments for your biz + blog that will help you grow massively (max $35)
- The ultimate guide to doing your own PR
- Automatically schedule your Pinterest pins with these 5 tools
- My top 7 automations that will help you get more done in less time
- Time-saving tips for busy entrepreneurs
- Why using Convertkit is the only way to grow your blog income in 2016
- How to use Convertkit as a PR tool to automate the heck out of your PR strategy
- 7 reasons why your PR efforts + strategy shouldn’t cost you money (+ FREE PR Checklist)
- 6 reasons why public relations are important (+ You should start PR ASAP)
- What is Leadpages + 5 ways to grow your blog or biz with it
- A list of 50+ recommended paid blogger networks to join
- Travellers life = why money matters and how to make more by clearing your money blocks (+ an introduction to my money coach)
- 7+ websites that will pay you for your photography
- Sell your clutter for cash: 10 best places to make money online
- The best online privacy tools for staying secure while traveling (and at home!)
- Travel apps every world traveller needs
- Latte & laptops –my favourite 5 work places with free wifi around the world
- Use these 9 Habits of highly productive people to stay productive while travelling
- My carry-on long-haul flight essentials
Most useful blog posts about money and building a passive income
| Travel Advice & Digital Nomad lifestyle |
Travel more with less money
Download your free guide by signing up. You'll immidiately receive your free guide!