Let's connect, follow me here:Follow @nnonimay Pinterest Contact NM
*This post may contain affiliate links.
And don't forget to share this post down below!
As a go-to person for people who need PR advice or help, I often hear ridiculous reasons not to do your own PR. Of course, PR company’s don’t wanna lose their jobs so they’ll tell you it’s impossible to do it yourself let alone for free, but let me tell you: it’s not impossible and it can be done for free.Public Relations and especially free publicity can be done for free and without professional PR experience! So let’s kill some of the myths people spread around once and for all:
If you like reading this article, you might also like:
- – How to use Teachable for free to host your online course, membership site or more
- – Making money with affiliate marketing (as a blogger or without a blog!)
- – The Complete Guide To: making money blogging when you have a small following
- – 50+ online income streams to make extra income online from home (to pay off debt)
- – 4 simple steps to starting a WordPress blog from scratch if you have zero technical knowledge
- – The tools I use to run my 5-figure automated business and blog.
- – Mailchimp vs Convertkit: growing your list to 5000+ and which one is better (and free?!)
- – How to use Tailwind Tribes to grow your blog and traffic on autopilot
- – The ultimate list 40 ways to promote your content: free guide content promotion tools
- – Free email course: A Media Kit That Sells to pitch to press and sponsor and become a professional blogger.
- – How to use Convertkit as a PR tool to automate the heck out of your PR strategy
- – Boardbooster vs Tailwind + 3 more tools to schedule and automate your Pinterest
- – A breakdown, the real costs of running a successful business and blog
Want to read more about PR and free publicity? Check out:
| Myth #1: If you don’t have the right connections, don’t know any journalists or just a few, it’s impossible |
Ha, this is probably the number 1 reason for people to not grow your business with free publicity! But you don’t need thousands of contact in order to succeed! When I first had my first ‘press attack’ – waaaay before I worked in PR or even had a marketing education, I only had about 10 journalists/bloggers on my mini press lists and I cold emailed them. Most of them never replied but two journalists and 1 blogger did. It was a very ‘big’ blogger at the time and as soon as she published an article about me, it sort of went viral and got picked up by a lot of other blogs! So don’t feel discouraged! In Oh My Press I have dedicated a whole module to this topic: how to get your first press contacts.
| Myth #2: you need to spend a lot of money on advertising, sponsored articles, and expensive PR tools |
Ha, this is my ‘favorite’ myth, because it’s SO not true! I’ve never spent a penny on PR and that’s not only because it’s my background. Of course, you have to spend some money on marketing, but my favorite thing is free publicity and it’s totally free.
Tools to use to generate more sales
| Myth #3: you have to work months and months in advance |
Ok true, most magazines have a very strict deadline, but there are ways to be featured like last minute. You’ll notice journalists often decline you with the reason that you’ve missed their deadline. But you can easily get a few last minute press mentions if you know how to reach out to journalists right, when and the right offer! I mean, who works months and months in advance? For most of us, it’s impossible!
| Myth #4: I don’t have time to do PR – I run a blog/biz! |
Ok, I get it. That’s exactly what I do too! But please, please know that running a biz or blog is not all about doing what you love. For me, that’s taking photos and writing, but of course, I have to do my admin, emails, sales, and marketing too! You can definitely hire someone to do this, but I like to schedule hours in my week devoted to these ‘less fun tasks’ If you want to grow your biz, you have to make time for activities to reach more people! It’s just stupid if you don’t! Imagine: you devote one or two hours a week to PR and you easily reach more than hundreds of new followers and possible clients/buyers. Would be a shame to not do this right!?!
| Myth #5: Nobody will write about my small company, blog or me |
False! As blogger and journalist, I’m always looking for new article ideas! And especially new bloggers and startups are very interesting! I don’t want to be the tenth journalist writing about the same business or app everybody is already talking about. My editor won’t accept that. So I want and need to discover new things – so please don’t be discouraged by the fact that it’s just you or that people might not know you! The longer you do this, the sooner people will get to know you and you’ll get over this fear the minute you do your first interview!
| Myth #6: I didn’t study this in school so I have an idea where to start or how the field works – I just can’t do it! |
Ok, let me tell you this. Most things that leave you with great result aren’t easy. I mean, have you ever tried to lose a few pounds? There is no shortcut in life. The same with free publicity. It’s not difficult, but you have to put in the hours in order to make it work. You don’t need a fancy education, you just need enough knowledge of the field and a business that’s ready. That’s why I created Oh My Press: in 3 months your biz or blog’s first media mentions. So you don’t need to follow a PR related study. You don’t need to Google old articles till’ you die. You don’t need years of experience in the PR field, working your *ss off for others while running your own business in the evening hours. Skip the endless trial & errors. The instant stress you feel when you do something wrong in an email sent to thousands of your most important contacts. I’ve been there, so you don’t have to go through this.
Enrollment for Oh My Press will be open for just a few more days until we start and the doors will close after that till later this year! So if you want to grow your business or blog for FREE this year and learn an awesome new skill, make sure you ENROLL NOWand get the course for the special pre-sale price!
I can’t wait to show you everything I know and see all of your results!
Follow me & my blog:
Visit noni's profile on Pinterest.
Shop my current favorites:
seamless style="border: 0;">
Most useful blog posts to grow your biz + blog
Travel Advice & Digital Nomad lifestyle
- The best online privacy tools for staying secure while traveling (and at home!)
- Travel apps every world traveller needs
- Latte & laptops –my favourite 5 work places with free wifi around the world
- Use these 9 Habits of highly productive people to stay productive while travelling
- My carry-on long-haul flight essentials